Pondering on the code we currently have for this.

[and because I was grepping for 'public interface', which I don't think
Lang should have much of]

I'm not convinced that the ID stuff fits Lang's style. It has a similar
style to Collections code [public interfaces, XxxUtils as a facade to
implementations] which implies there is a certain amount of buy-in from
the user. Collections can get away with this because the religion is the
Collections API, but here we're defining a new religion for the user.

So that's another reason why it feels icky in its current place.

Even if we do include it in a later version of Lang, I'd like to move it
to a package of uid or somesuch.

I'd much rather see it as a tiny commons component on its own, with a
bunch of UID bits, possibly including some C code to get a mac address on
common operating systems, and a clone of M$'s GUID scheme. This would
depend if there are enough uid ideas out there to add to it.

DB id/sequences would be out of scope, so I might be pushing it for native
id's to be in scope. There are other uid's that can be added however. One
I've seen used took the time and the memory address of an object to create
a unique-within-a-JVM uid.

Hen