IMHO, the Board made an error of judgement with the setting up of a-c. A
desire has been expressed to have one TLP for small reusable components,
which has been met with a repeated desire for a Java-centric area.
(Relatively few people oppose a java based commons TLP). Some solutions I
can think of:

1) j-c merges with a-c and we just have to get along. (Hen suggested a
variation on how to start this, but the result is the same)

2) a-c becomes an umbrella project housing a virtually independent java
commons, a C commons, etc. I don't believe the Board or existing a-c would
be happy with this.

3) a-c is disbanded completely. j-c is then promoted to TLP using the
Commons name, and Java only.

4) j-c merges up into Jakarta, once all the other bigger projects leave.

5) j-c is promoted to TLP using a different name, such as Commons-J.

Personally I have great difficulty with #1. I believe #2 won't happen. #3
would be really nice, but would require some humility in recognising a
mistake made in a-c. #5 is messy, as Commons is 'our' name before it was
kindof stolen. #4 is challenging, but maybe possible.

Stephen