Gary Gregory wrote:

#1. Commons Codec will be hosted on Subversion

-1, unless I can use Eclipse to access the repos. Can Subversion work in some kind of CVS compatibility mode? Using a CLI is such a pain.

When did ASF development become tied to Eclipse functionality? I've noticed this over the past few months. This seems a very serious compromise. If open source tool X doesn't support technology Y, then get to work.

Maybe I assume too much, when I assume that the majority of ASF committers are confortable building Apache HTTPD from source - on the command-line. I don't think asking Apache committers to be fluent with the "command line 'interface'" is too demanding.

#2. Commons Codec will use Jira for issue tracking.

Is there any reason to use a normally commercial product here? [Same issues
as using Clover I guess] Are folks sick of bugzilla? Not perty enough?

More itemized lists from me. A few reasons:

A. I don't see the query page scaling very gracefully. I select "Commons" from the "Program" list, wait 20 seconds and then I can choose "Codec". Once I do that, I'm a little perplexed by the idea that every single component in this behemoth J-C shares the same list of versions and target milestones. I want a separate project, with the ability to create separate components, and versions.

B. The RoadMap - notice that Jelly has a good Roadmap - that helps convey purpose to potential contributors.

C. Yes, it is a commercial product, but I stood by and watched as Atlassian provided a great deal of help to the infrastructure people ( Noel and others ) who took valuable time to install this tool.