I'm not exactly sure what you are asking for, so please help me to
understand the proposal.

Gump builds stuff and under certain circumstances it publishes the
generated jars.  For example, the build system that is currently
sending the nag emails is not publishing the build artifacts at all.

What do you want to stop?  Building of the jars or just publishing
them?

I think building sandbox components is as important as building any
other component.  How would the authors of a sandbox component get to
know that their usage of JDOM relies on jdom-b9 and will not compile
against JDOM 1.0 when released?

Publishing is a different story IMHO.

Stefan