robert burrell donkin wrote:

PROPOSAL: eliminate the core dependency on commons-collections

rationale - this will not only eliminate a sizable dependency for many products depending on beanutils but also reduce chances of compatibility issues with the various versions of collections.

PLAN:

1 add org.apache.commons.collections.ArrayStack and org.apache.commons.collections.Buffer source to beanutils (these are required by the public API)

+1

2 replace the references to FastHashMap with a private static implementation. consider whether to replace this altogether.

+1. Regarding replacement, I'm fine with any approach that lets us read from the collection without locking (which is the 99.9% use case for where the Fast* stuff is used in both BeanUtils and in Struts). In practice, nobody has reported a reproducible bug against the code in these classes, but I can certainly appreciate how difficult it would be to accomplish this.

3 factor out a new bean-collections jar under extras/bean-collections containing the (cool) implementations of collections stuffs using beanutils bean-magic.

I'm not sure I'm parsing this sentence correctly. Does that mean we just put the ArrayStack and Buffer and Fast* classes being grabbed here, instead of in src/java? If so, +1. Otherwise, could you please explain further?

i've made a start on this work (so if anyone has any reasonable objections, now would be a very good time to state them :) but i'd be willing to change if anyone comes up with any improvements to this plan.

- robert

Craig