From: Eric Dalquist [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 14:10
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [codec-multipart] Who's In Charge

I don't see plugability as being a requirement. A streaming
encoder/decoder is a larger requirement as the data being encoded into

multipart message could be quite large and forcing the user to store

it

in memory wouldn't be very nice. I'm doing some more re-working on the
codec-multipart code so it supports streams as well. I tried emailing
Mark directly, I'll see what he says about the whole thing when he

gets

back to me. Once I get a better re-work of the code done what should I
do? I'm very interesting in adding this code to the codec project.

-Eric Dalquist

Gary Gregory wrote:

Thinking more about the structure of the Encoder and Decoder

interfaces

I've never been crazy about these various interfaces. In our

company's

product at least, we've never needed pluggable impls. Some of the

Codecs

are so different that it does not look like being able to replace one
with another makes sense. OTOH, having interfaces gives you the

option

of using and creating pluggable guys, which is fine.

All of this to say that I would not initially worry that much about
fitting a new package in these interfaces unless you believe that
"plugability" is a requirement.

of the encoder would be via an InputStream.

This is indeed quite different from the current design. There have

been

discussions on this list about stateful and streamable decoder.

Perhaps now is the time to revive these discussions.

Gary