Yes, I would say that getting some implementation in place which is efficient and streamable is more important that working getting it to plug into other Encoder/Decoder interfaces.

I ran out of time to push this forward. If your interested in moving it forward, it would be helpful. I think that maintaining the Streamability and the extensibility in the Parts interfaces are most important. I think we had ideas that this could get used for both httpclient and of Decoding the multipart post requests in FileUpload as well. There is definitly need for a standard codec for multipart post which can get reused in these projects.

I'll be glad to apply any patches you can supply via the bugzilla
http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Commons&version=unspecified&component=Sandbox&rep_platform=Other&op_sys=other&priority=Other&bug_severity=normal&bug_status=NEW&assigned_to=&cc=&bug_file_loc=&short_desc=%5Bcodec-multipart%5D&comment=&maketemplate=Remember+values+as+bookmarkable+template&form_name=enter_bug

-Mark

Eric Dalquist wrote:

I don't see plugability as being a requirement. A streaming encoder/decoder is a larger requirement as the data being encoded into a multipart message could be quite large and forcing the user to store it in memory wouldn't be very nice. I'm doing some more re-working on the codec-multipart code so it supports streams as well. I tried emailing Mark directly, I'll see what he says about the whole thing when he gets back to me. Once I get a better re-work of the code done what should I do? I'm very interesting in adding this code to the codec project.

-Eric Dalquist

Gary Gregory wrote:

Thinking more about the structure of the Encoder and Decoder

interfaces

I've never been crazy about these various interfaces. In our company's
product at least, we've never needed pluggable impls. Some of the Codecs
are so different that it does not look like being able to replace one
with another makes sense. OTOH, having interfaces gives you the option
of using and creating pluggable guys, which is fine.
All of this to say that I would not initially worry that much about
fitting a new package in these interfaces unless you believe that
"plugability" is a requirement.