David Graham wrote:
--- Stephen Colebourne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Potentially, we could use the digester version to start from. (In new
commons style, there would be copy-paste with reference to original, not
dependency)

> If we start doing this in commons it will be more ridiculed,
> and rightfully so, than it already is.

I see your point, but keep in mind that this was done to make the lives of the users easier. Forcing a user to include a huge [collections] jar
for a project that only uses 1 or 2 classes from it doesn't seem practical to me.

Sometimes, in one of my projects, I'll have 2 components that need
a certain thing. I don't always have the ability to make them
depend on each other, nor the ability to create a third component that they can both share. So, I'll write a class/method and put it in both
components -- but I keep my eye on it, because if it grows, and lives
with other classes/methods that are copy/pasted, then I have a good reason to make a new component.

I think that [beanutils] (for example) just copy/pasting in a class
from collections is a good idea, if it's just a few.  But, if the
number grew, then I'd say just go ahead and include [collections] as a
dependency.

IMO, copy-paste reuse is the worst offense that a programmer can commit.

I agree that it's bad news.

But, I think the worst offense is this:

try {

  // ...