Sorry, please disregard my earlier reply.  I didn't read your original
carefully enough.  Mario has provided one workaround.  I would suggest that
VFS should be enhanced to take advantage of this little-known capability of
Commons-Net.  I have had it in the back of my mind to do the same for Ant but
have not found the time yet.