Phil Steitz wrote:

I agree here as well. Do you see use cases where you will want to start with a double[][] array, perform matrix operations on it (say some decomposition) and then run stats on the resulting matrix? Will it be too onerous to make copies of the double[][] at each stage? If so, we need to think about access to the double[][].

I think keeping getData() will do the job. I generally do not like to store the result of a calculation in the original matrix, it always confuses me. If the content is of a different type, the name should be different.

Is there the intention to add an EigenvalueDecomposition class to the package? In that case, which algorithm is targeted to be used? Jacobi?

We have not discussed this. Feel free to add to the wish list and propose an algorithm. We also need to discuss how best to implement the strategy pattern for decompositions in general, as there will often be multiple algorithms to choose from.

I have plugged in the EigenvalueDecomposition class from JAMA, which works fine for the PCA and CPCA modules. They do have a whole set of decompositions, and they might be easy to implement in the package (if they are free to be used).

Kim

--
http://www.kimvdlinde.com