Brian Behlendorf wrote:

Thanks, Wolfgang. This is a pretty easy case for us - as it sits today, especially with this email note from Wolfgang (which should be included in a NOTES file sitting near colt.jar when imported) it looks perfectly fine to incorporate this into Apache, preserving CERN's copyright notice. From a policy perspective, we should commit to the repository not just the .jar file but the source code as well.

Any patches that Apache developers need to make should be offered upstream, of course, and then reincorporated into the ASF repository by merging in a new version. But if we need to locally modify the work, then the copyright on the resulting derivative work would be (C) Apache Software Foundation and the Apache 2.0 license, being careful not to remove the original (C) CERN or license/notice.

Brian,

What if what we end up wanting to do is to incorporate code from the implemented algorithms into existing Apache software? Then do we just need to add the CERN license / notice?

thx,

Phil