As Hans said,

We don't want to introduce such a dependency in the core jelly.
It used to be a problem because it wasn't maven distributable... now it looks like it actually is maven distributed (under the project-name servletapi).
I'd like to have a kind of better confirmation than just seeing it in the maven repository before comitting to such a jump. (the licenses in the maven repo are... Apache license! I doubt this is from Sun).

Do note that, if you want to use it from jexl, it is probably irrelevant wether it is actually of the given class or just implements all the methods with same signature. So, before the immensely long time someone of Sun actually claims the Apache license is correct, it might be faster to just write an class with the same methods...

paul