On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 13:53, Matt Sgarlata wrote:
> Simon Kitching wrote:
> > I think this demonstrates a major issue.
> >
> > When using logging in an "enterprise" situation, the logging can be
> > considered a critical part of the application. If you have heavy-duty
> > monitoring systems watching for alerts from the software, and have
> > sysadmins on call 24x7 to deal with issues, then for an application to
> > fail to locate the correct logging libs or config files is a *failure*
> > of the app. You don't want an app to start up, but then not be able to
> > generate alerts if problems occur.
> >
> > But when using logging in other situations, logging is *not* a critical
> > part, and should not cause an application to fail to start.
> >
> > The latter is the focus of commons-logging at the moment. And
> > unfortunately as commons-logging has no *mandatory* configuration, it is
> > not possible to add a "fail-on-no-config" option!
> >
> > So perhaps we could build two separate jars from mostly-common source
> > code? Deploying the traditional commons-logging jar would do the "be
> > quiet on no config", while the "enterprise" commons-logging jar would do
> > something like "write message to STDERR then throw a runtime exception
> > on no config"?
>
> Why not just introduce a boolean parameter that says whether or not an
> inability to log is a failure?  e.g.
>
> Log log = LogFactory.getLog(MyClass.class, true);

It's not "inability to log" as such. It's whether finding no specific
config info or underlying log implementation and therefore falling back
to using java.util.logging (java>=1.4) or
org.apache.commons.logging.SimpleLog (java<1.4) is allowed or not.

In many cases, what you *want* an app to do if it can't find any
specific logging config is simply to output ERROR and FATAL messages to
stderr. This is what commons-logging will currently do if its
"discovery" process finds nothing.

I guess commons-logging *could* use a parameter such as you suggest to
indicate "explicit configuration of logging is mandatory". This would
presumably mean detecting whether commons-logging.properties or the
corresponding system properties have defined an explicit log
implementation and config file for that implementation.

I'm not sure, however, if the decision on whether logging is mandatory
or not should be a compile-time one. It seems to me to be more like
something the application *deployer* should choose. That then leads us
to a circular reference: how do we know whether configuration is
mandatory or not, if we can't find any configuration?

Regards,

Simon