robert burrell donkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>the passivity is a symptom of commons logging being too big, too
>complex and too tightly coupled to the needs of applications run in
>containers and yet not sophisticated enough. IMO the commons logging
>API could and should be reduced to one interface and one public class
>each with no dependencies on anything about java 1.0.

IMHO the dependency on "java 1.0" and...

>everything else, all the sophisticated configuration can be achieved by
>byte-code engineering: doping the appropriate jars so that the calls
>are wired correctly. there is certainly an amount of resistance to byte
>code engineering from some quarters but after a long hard slog, i
>really think that this is the only way that the initial aims of the
>component can be achieved.

...byte-code engineering contradict each other. One of the really,
really strong things of c-l is, that it needs no additional jars. Just
drop commons-logging in, develop your app, deploy with the app,
commons-logging and a logger implementation, off you go.

I'd very much like to keep that, which means that any bytecode
manipulation code should be part of the commons-logging jar. I'd like
to avoid getting dependent on things like BCEL.

        Regards
                Henning

[EMAIL PROTECTED]        +49 9131 50 654 0   http://www.intermeta.de/

What is more important to you...