I have to jump into this as well.  I hope I am not just repeating what wiser
minds have already said :-).  The idea of changing package names just seems
like a solution that looks simple, but will rapidly become a nightmare.   As
far as I know, no other set of libraries follow this pattern, including the
Java libraries, and I think this suggests that doing this isn't wise.

And, in my experience watching work done with tools like Gump, any time
people do weird trickery with package names, like Sun renaming some packages
from x.y.z to com.sun.x.y.z, this inevitably seems to cause lots of problems
somewhere down the line.

Additionally, people will soon start writing tools similar to
commons-logging that attempt to put a facade over all the versions so you
don't have to know which version you are working with.

I understand why it is a problem, but it seems like a better solution is to
pressure app vendors to upgrade faster (by using tools like Gump that
demonstrate the newer versions are solid against many packages) as well as
implement classloader isolation.

Eric