Mario Ivankovits wrote:

Well, VFS is alive in a manner that I try to fix major problems and reported bugs.

I decided to go in small steps as I use it in our project as java.io.File replacement (where possible) and thus have to ensure its stability. Currently I feel very comfortable about its stability.

As soon as I have more time I would like to implement something like file-locking.

Yes, and the NFS support would be interesting too.. I saw it in the TO DO List.

You are right, I too think its time to discuss a plan how to migrate it to commons proper - I planed to poll for it in a couple of months. Not sure what the community thinks about it.

Sure that it would be a good idea. !!
So, for now, I decided to keep it in my project but in a secure way (I encapsulate it in a single class to change it more easily.)
In some weeks, I will be more free time and I will spend some time reading the sources.

Thanks for answering...

Stéphane.