Hello!
Sounds like a long night today :-)
Hard work - it might take some time until I can commit the new naming stuff.
The whole procedure of parsing a uri needs to be refactored, currently I fight agains the "Layered" stuff e.g. tar:tar:file:/dir/first.tar!/second.tar!/entry

And I already "implemented" some incompatibilites between the old and the new VFS naming:

Current:
       file = getManager().resolveFile("%2e");
resolves to the current Directory
New:
resolves to a file or directory NAMED "."

Current:
       file = getManager().resolveFile("dir%2fchild");
resolves to a file "child" in directory "dir"
New:
resolves to a file or directory named "dir/child"

Current:
       file = getManager().resolveFile("dir%5cchild");
resolves to a file "child" in directory "dir"
New:
resolves to a file or directory named "dir\child"

I leave it up to the filesystem if such a file or directory could be created.

The above examples are those from the unit-test, so the old behaviour was wanted. But I think the new one is the right one.
I think it is very unlikely that those constructs can be found in the wild life, but if one used VFS that way it IS broken.

Any comments?

---
Mario