My daily status report ;-)

Rami Ojares wrote:

That being said I think that the absolute minimum is only %
But what is the practical minimum is left in the air.

This is what I have done now. I changed the code to pass the given uri down to the filesystem and only honor the "%" sign as special character.
From the point of view of VFS only the "!" needs special care as it is used by the layered filesystem (tar, zip, jar, ...)

Now if a uri contains a %nn sequence it is meant to cancel any special meaning of its corresponding character. ie if one encodes the "." as "%2e" it is no longer meant as "current directory". Sure - none of the currently available filesystems can create a file named "." - but what if we once have a filesystem backed by a database ...

Lets come back to the "!". Again a new "incompatibility" to the previous naming scheme. In the past it was needet to encode the character to access a nested archive ie:

tar:tar:file:/home/tar1.tar%21/tar2.tar!/entry.txt

Now it is (it think) more naturally:

tar:tar:file:/home/tar1.tar!/tar2.tar!/entry.txt

And the "!" is useable in filenames as "%21".

I think it was really worth the work.

Now that it is possible to safely pass uris we could have a look how we should encode.
I will try to figure out how local-file, ftp, http, webdav, smb, sft will handle filenames with special characters.

---
Mario