Ortwin Glück wrote:

Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

Odi,

I have not looked at the proposed solution, so I may be wrong here, but
I think it _should_ simply prepopulate the <HTTPCLIENT_HOME>\lib from an
external repository (such as ibiblio). If it is indeed the case I
personally see no problem with removing dependencies from SVN. I will
not insist, though

Oleg

Yes, that's what it does. Maybe that I am missing something, but I have no idea what should be the benefit of that.

1. The libs are in the repo for a *reason*: availability and convenience. If you remove them we loose this availability and convenience. Replacing them with a stupid download script makes thinks worse, not better.

2. We don't need an additional Ant target to download deps. It duplicates knowledge from the project.xml. I don't want to maintain knowledge twice. This is error prone. Remember we had out-of-date docs regarding deps recently? Maven can download the deps that are listed in project.xml. Nobody needs Ant when there is Maven. Ant is legacy. You could write a Maven goal to generate the Ant script from the project.xml. But this is stupid as can be, isn't it? As I said, all we need is Maven, not Ant.

The Maven Ant Plugin makes it easy to create an Ant build script from a project.xml file. I made a patch for it to solve a problem [1] that Craig had, that is somewhat related to this issue. A released version of the plugin is not yet available, but a SNAPSHOT version (1.9-SNAPSHOT) is available.

The patch makes it possible to have local copies of select jar-files. All you need to do is create a build.properties file of your own and point it to the your local copies of jar-files. If you don't supply a build.properties file the jar-files will be downloaded from ibiblio or whatever repository you have configured Maven to use.

I am not sure that this will work for httpclient, but it is a way to benefit from both Ant and Maven without the need to define dependencies twice.

Installation instructions for the SNAPSHOT version of the Ant plugin are available [2] in the JIRA issue.

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPANT-20
[2] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPANT-20#action_28915

--
Dennis Lundberg

3. If anybody of ASF has a problem with the libs being in the repo, we can remove them today. Fine with me. There is no absolute need they are there. (If you though they need to be there because your IDE requires them in the project directory, you are wrong: Just look at Maven's eclipse goal.)