--- robert burrell donkin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 23:12 +1200, Simon Kitching
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 23:37 -0700, Brian
> Stansberry wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > 2) When checking into the above, I discovered
> that in
> > > the latest JBoss, their webapp classloader won't
> load
> > > commons-logging.jar from WEB-INF/lib even if
> > > parent-last loading is in effect.  It's
> specifically
> > > disabled.  Seems there were type conflicts with
> JCL
> > > classes loaded by the integrated Tomcat
> container.
> > > Not sure yet what this is all about, but in any
> case
> > > the net effect is that as far as JCL is
> concerned, a
> > > webapp on JBoss behaves as if parent-first
> > > were in effect.
> >
> > Interesting....I wonder if they posted any
> questions to the JCL
> > development list before adopting this (apparently
> fairly radical)
> > solution. I'll go have a look.
>
> seems like an odd solution. any more information on
> this?

Not too much.  The JBoss CVS commit history and their
JIRA don't give too many details.  For JBoss 4.0.2
they switched to using the standard Tomcat webapp
classloader by default (instead of their own). I'm
*guessing* that the problem might arise because JBoss
has commons-logging.jar on the server classpath, while
Tomcat standalone use commons-logging-api.jar.

I'm about to take on a project related to JBoss/Tomcat
integration, so that will give me a chance to check it
out more (i.e. stop filtering JCL in WEB-INF/lib and
see what breaks).

Sorry to have dropped out of sight -- wife and baby
are heading home for a long period to see
grandparents, so starting next week I'll be a bachelor
programmer again.

- Brian