Paul Libbrecht wrote:
There's a difference between a graph plotter and a chart plotter: the source data. To me a chart-plotter is fed by a bunch of numbers whereas a graph-plotter is fed by a bunch of functions.

Ah, I see.
Well, at least the screen shots from
 http://vofce.sourceforge.net/
look promising. Although I lived well with GnuPlot for this purpose
until now.

That characteristic is probably a very high requirement and is probably the reason why it's mostly only found in more general purpose computer-algebra-systems....

There are a few general purpose CAS written in Java available.
(yacas et al, plunder sourceforge as usual). I'm not sure whether
any of them has a plotting component. I'd still be very surprised
if there isn't even an attempt at a java graph plotter on
sourceforge.
If not, ripping code off GnuPlot and/or GNU plotutils should be
easy enough. :-)

You might also ask here (not OSS)
 http://www.accesscom.com/~lillge/pgc/
or here
 http://www.pa.uky.edu/~phy211/graph_applets/plot_graph.html
or here
 http://www.rddvs.com/RICHplot.html
 http://dsaka20.kushiro-ct.ac.jp/~yanto/java/surface/
 http://sol.cs.wcu.edu/~par/grapher/GrapherUtility.html
or a dozen or so of other websites
(making plotting applets must be *really* fun!)

HTH
J.Pietschmann