Brett Porter wrote:

> given Noel's email on commons-exec, I think it would be good to
> talk about the similarities of the sandbox and the incubator and
> determine if both are needed and how they can help each other.

They are probably both needed, since the sandbox is typically used for
internal projects that are just not ready for prime time.  But the sandbox
cannot be used as a stand-in for the Incubator.

I think that everyone realizes that new communities must be come through the
Incubator, but it may not be as widely understood that external codebases
imported into existing projects must still be recorded in the Incubator.

See:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/projects/
ip-clearance-template.html

        --- Noel