Hello:

Currently, the class VariableFormatter is called a "Formatter" and not a
"Format" to make it clear that the implementation is not based on the
JRE Format class.

As Simon Kitching on Tue, 05 Jul 2005:

"
MessageFormat is
based on defining a template "My {0} is {1}.", then evaulating this for
different values of {0} and {1}. The (proposed) VariableFormat is based
on defining a source of variable info (Map), then evaulating different
template strings against that map. I think the current VariableFormat
approach is the right approach for mapped data but this difference
implies that care should be taken when drawing any parallels between
these classes.

I think this is what Gary meant above; that if this class cannot be
implemented as a subclass of java.text.MessageFormat (or at least a
subclass of java.text.Format) then it shouldn't have Format in the name.
And it doesn't seem that it can (or should) do this, so I would like to
see whatever solution is agreed on avoid the name "Format".
"

Simon's full message is here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg63493.html

Gary