Mario Ivankovits wrote:
Say you have an application where you simply could "open" or "save as" files, e.g. picture viewer/converter, jedit or so on.
Then it might be nice if we have a swing/awt component which utilize VFS.
I guess it should be possible to extend the common "open file" dialog, isnt it?
Not impossible, but *very* hard to do.

The way to do that is to replace all calls to filesystem IO with call to VFS.

Unfortunately, the java.io.FileSystem is protected, so even using priviledged reflection, that can't be done.

The only way i can think of is some fancy bytecode generation/replacement. Either of the FileSystem of a running application ( but i strongly suspect that's impossible, or extremely hard at minimum), or alternatively to change the bytecode of the application.