On 12/18/05, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 12/18/05, James Carman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Well, I think it's pretty obvious that we need to start a new maven plugin
> > project for commons.  So, why don't we just get started?  Do we have to vote
>
> +1 get started :)
>
> > on something like that?  Are we going to make it a Maven2 or Maven1 plugin?
>
> Nope, I think it's pretty clear that there's consensus to look into a plugin.
>
> Maven-1 makes sense, the work on a plugin is more about figuring out
> what to put in there and not the technical difficulty of creating the
> plugin. Unless it turns out that Maven-2 support makes it a lot
> easier, or that's just the itch someone wants to scratch.
>
> > Do we want to make everyone upgrade their POMs?
>
> We should be able to script it, as you suggest below. Given that
> maven-2 can live side by side with maven-1, it just needs someone to
> either go ahead and make a pom.xml for all of commons

I would need some convincing that introducing logical dependency on a
top-level POM is a good thing.  Could be this is a good idea - I just
dont see it yet.

, or to make a
> list of the changes needed.

We should decide the version question "soon."  Playing around a little
with both 1 and 2 to see what would be involved in getting something
to work is probably a good idea.  In terms of "what goes in" we have a
good start on the Wiki page
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/ReleaseShoppingList.

One way to start thinking about the pros and cons of 1 vs 2 is to look
at the release and site generation requirements (we might want to pull
the second out into a separate Wiki page) and think through how "big"
the new plugin(s) would have to be in each case and how much can be
accomplished by patching exisiting plugins. We should try to keep the
custom code base as small and simple as possible.

> > Where will the code for the plugin live?
>
> +1 for commons/proper/trunk/commons-plugin

Or .../commons-build/commons-plugin

Phil