On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 12:35 +1100, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> <snip/>
>
> Sounds all excellent ...but IMO that's exactly what JCL2 should
> target on. I say: let's get started with the 2.x version.

there's nothing really holding up 2.0 now (from a technical
perspective). i'll take a release branch from the RC5 tag.

> I would not try to push that into the 1.x version. It's a pretty big change

this new component would not require any changes to the 1.x version:
it'd just be a more fully functional version of the NULL implementation
you proposed earlier.

my plan would be just to create a separate component that is fully
compatible with the JCL 1.1 API and binary (but not semantically)
compatible with the SPI. JCL 1.1 is likely to be around for quite a
while so i'd like to have solutions available for those who are stuck
with JCL 1.1.

> ...and frankly speaking - it will also help marketing wise. JCL1
> has a bit of a bad reputation. JCL2 could help to leave this behind.

it would be good to get JCL2 up and running ASAP but i'm not sure i have
the energy to push it through (for the next few months, at least). i've
dropped quite a lot of other stuff for JCL which really can't be left
much longer. so, other people need to step up.

anyone care to start a new JCL2.0 design thread?

- robert