+1 on both.. Although I would also like to see the wiki notifications moved to
the commits list.
The only thing that needs to be done to actually make this work, is to actually advertise the mailinglist splitup. I missed the fact at some projects (don't remember which ones though), there was a seperate commit / jira list. So we need to adjust the docs of all projects, the mail2 page and regenerate the site when we do the move.
I am in favour of autosubscribing everyone who is currently on dev.

Mvgr,
Martin

Henri Yandell wrote:
A while back Maven moved to having the commits and issues on different
mailing lists and it seems to be going well.

So I'd like to suggest:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  - reply-to to commons-dev
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     - reply-to to commons-dev

I think the wiki notifications should stay on the dev list as they're
relatively low in number and they don't require any kind of restricted
authentication to get involved with. Any contributor can hop in and
fix a spelling mistake.

The obvious worry is over new committers not subscribing to those
lists. Firstly we can obviously make a point of mentioning that to new
committers - but mostly I think the number of Re: svn commit and Re:
[JIRA] emails that will appear will make them wonder what they're
missing.

Another advantage of the above just happened on the Tomcat list. A
mistake by a committer caused 2700 svn commits to be sent out (to
nearly 1000 subscribers). The ASF mail server took a good many hours
to recover - most of the day I think. So both those kind of errors,
and the large JIRA reorgs we've been doing would be hitting less
people.

One question:

Do we automatically subscribe everyone on dev@ and let them
unsubscribe. Or start the lists empty.