someone said:
So what does a major version mean? Surely a major version means "we have changed the code so it is no longer compatible, you cannot upgrade simlpy and easily"

This may or may not be true and it also depend on how the product is used. Some power users may consider an apparent minor change breaks their code because they used some undocumented feature or side effect while some other users relying only on a small part of a library may even not notice any change when a major version is released.

It may even be false from the developper point of view. Sometimes, I did bump the major version number of my products when no incompatible changes were introduced but when only a very important new feature was added, even if all the rest was exactly the same.

I am quite reluctant to adopt a drastic approach for all major versions. I agree with the need for a new package name in the example case of generifying [collections], but hope this case is extremelly rare.

Package names changes could be decided after discussions and involving the users rather than as the result of a mandatory rule.

(I'm not sure I allowed to express this opinion as I am only a new contributor, please ignore this message if you consider this a reserved topic).

Luc