Jörg Schaible wrote:
My bottom line: If you build an application, you have
> to do localization (of exception and logging) at the application
> layer, because only there you can give the user a context, that is
> really useful. This implies catching exceptions from libraries and
> wrapping them with your own and it implies also, that you should
> have access to the basic parts of the exception (e.g. the file name)
> easily i.e. usign the exeption's API. This part can be provided by
> common lib (and the JDK fails here often enough badly), but it cannot
> serve the requirements of an application it has no knowledge of.

I believe that the provision of access to the basic parts of the exception, as described here, is not unreasonable. Its not one I consider essential however.

If it can be achieved without over-complicating the exception then fine, however I suspect that to achieve the goal will require many more classes and methods than this actually justifies. This is a case for KISS.

Stephen