You need to create a relocation POM for the release that does relocation to
avoid hundred users to ask for upload on ibilio.
The relocation POM will produce a warning on console for maven users. You
can expect users to consider warnings and update groupId.

The relocation POM will not be required for N+1 releases. You MAY publish
one if you consider not all users had time to update. This is similar to
@deprecation warning in code : you can keep old code for some time but users
are warned that it will be removed.

2007/2/13, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On 2/13/07, Jörg Schaible <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Hen,
>
> Henri Yandell wrote on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 7:00 AM:
>
> > Second try - having had it explained to me on #maven why relocating is
> > important [so commons-lang:commons-lang 2.1 and
> > org.apache.commons:commons-lang 3.0 are considered the same and a
> > transitive clash can be recognized].
> >
> > So, second suggestion:
> >
> > We declare a point after which we won't do any more m1 releases. We'll
> > move wholesale over to m2. On that day (or as near as we can), we run
> > a script on all commons-*/ to do the relocation for all of them (
> > http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-relocation.html ).
> >
> > I know I'm clueless - so please change this to whatever the clueful
> > one is. I think it's time for us to drop m1 and move to m2.
>
> you cannot change the old POMs anymore, in that case this description is
obsolete. The only
> valid option is to use the new groupId with a new release and provide
for this new release a
> relocation POM at the former location. This was Carlos' advice after a
two week hassle to do
> such a transition with XStream.

So we're cursed with having to do relocation poms every time we do a
release?

Is that something we can put in the parent pom?

Hen