On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 17:51 -0800, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 3/9/07, Dennis Lundberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Henri Yandell wrote:
> > > Anyone mind if I kick off a 1.1.1 release? It looks like it's utterly
> > > ready and just needs to be rolled and voted on.
> > >
> > > Hen
> >
> > I've been meaning to do this for a long time. There are a couple of
> > questions to consider before rolling the release:
> >
> > 1. How should it be built?
> > Ant, Maven 1 or Maven 2. I've been working on the Maven 2 build and feel
> > confident about in it now. Was kind of hoping that logging-1.1.1 would
> > be the first commons release to use Maven 2, but I can be persuaded.
> >
> > 2. If we decide to use Maven 2 we should really change the groupId. This
> > needs to be carefully thought through.
> >
> > Anyway, I'm here to assist in any way can, if you want to be release
> > manager for this.
>
> Definitely happy to give M2 a try; but I'd rather not change the
> groupId on a bugfix release. We already have an M2 release in
> FileUpload that didn't change the groupid so that's not a worry. Plus
> I want to get it done quickly :)

I'm keen to see it built using maven2.

However the problem is that maven2 requires java1.4 to run while we want
the resulting binary to work in java1.2.

Option 1 is for the maven buildfile to ensure that all compilation and
unit tests are done with an external jdk of version 1.2. That's tricky
though.

Option 2 is to build the release with whatever version you want (eg 1.6)
but use target=1.2, then test with 1.2 to ensure that there are no
dependencies on methods not available in earlier jdks. This sounds
better to me. I think it would be possible to create a very simple ant
file that can be run with java 1.2 (on windows probably, as java1.2 is a
pain to install on linux). This ant file would use an existing jar and
precompiled unit tests, and just re-execute those unit tests with the
old jdk. I have been meaning to set this up for a long while now but
just cannot find the time..

Cheers,

Simon