I couldn't agree more, Jess.

Stephen C: earlier in this thread, you mentioned that "we'll need to throw away my current ramblings in the existing generics branch, but thats no bad thing" - how far did you get with your own work on generifying/genericising (have we even settled on a word for what we're doing yet?), and why exactly do we want to bin it?

Steve.

---
Stephen Smith, MEng (Wales).
http://www.stephen-smith.co.uk/

Jess Holle wrote:
You can always get the current unchecked behavior with Collection<Object>.

The way Java 5's type erasure works allows generic collections to keep working in all the old code that used the non-genericized versions of these collections. Where one can find a way to do the erasure properly to maintain compatibility with older callers it is a thing of beauty.

--
Jess Holle

Bryce L Nordgren wrote:
Hey all,

This may be something so simple it goes without saying, but it also may be
something that's easy to overlook.

The main value of commons collections is that it performs "intuitive" type
checking.  Collections can contain mixed types which are bounded on both
the top and the bottom end.  They can also be forced to contain only one
type of object. This allieviates some of the practical problems with Java5
collections; namely you can't add anything to a Collection<? extends
Object>.

If you intend to retain this functionality, I believe the only legal way is
to retain implementations of Collection (no generics).  I would very much
like to see this functionality retained. :)

Please pardon me if this was an "obvious" email.

Bryce