Henri Yandell wrote:
Personally I think we should only have the plugins defined if the
release jar itself needs them for stability. Otherwise we just deal
with whatever pain Maven is throwing everyone's way and yell at them
to fix.

Er why? It is not our job to be gump and test commons builds against the latest random collection of maven plugins.

<rant>
If anyone looks objectively at the amount of time spent on maven on this mailing list over the past few years its incredible. I'd suggest its been a big distraction from actually coding for some people.

The basic problem in this case is that maven builds aren't repeatable. They are only repeatable if you have exactly the same version of maven and each one of its many plugins.

This isn't something that plagues ant - there if you write a build script it keeps on working - its called backwards compatibility.
</rant>

Stephen