On 6/24/07, Dennis Lundberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> On 6/23/07, Phil Steitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 6/23/07, Rahul Akolkar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > <snip/>
>> >
>> > I haven't yet understood why we need to release anything from the
>> > sandbox at all. Sure, reproducibility is a good thing, but I doubt the
>> > builds are radically irreproducible without this release; and more
>> > importantly, I believe if people are interested in the sandbox
>> > components and their reproducibility, they should help get a release
>> > out instead.
>> >

>> I think you have a good point there, Rahul, but I would see this as a
>> commons release, not a commons-sandbox release and I personally see
>> the benefit (consistent builds, easier to get a sandbox component to
>> build when jumping in) as outweighing the negatives (increasing
>> likelihood people depend on sandbox components, making the sandbox
>> more "comfortable"), especially given that we are *not* releasing any
>> sandbox jars.
>>
> <snip/>
>
> I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate. I am not impressed by
> any of these benefits (I'm not trying to be curt, I don't know how
> else to put it). Moreover, I agree about the negatives.

So what are the negatives here? I have not seen anyone put forward any
arguments yet as to why releasing the sandbox parent pom would be bad.
We are *not* talking about releasing sandbox components! Please,
enlighten me.

> I see this as being distilled, and worse -- recurring, busy work.

Well, Carlos asked for a release of the pom. I imagine that he has a
good reason for this. So I stepped up to do the release. If I don't mind
doing the job - why should you care?

the problem is that if you try to check out and build one of the
sandbox components it won't work, you'd need to checkout the whole
sandbox just for one of them just to get the parent. I think is not a
big deal and will make the life of people trying the sandbox
components easier

--
Dennis Lundberg

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.