Also noticed that codec and xml-rpc also have their own Base64 classes. The NameValuePair is also a candidate for a more general package (perhaps lang?)

Jeffrey Dever wrote:

There are still a bunch of classes that are in both HttpClient and Slide. In particular:
Base64.java
HttpsURL.java
HttpURL.java
URIException.java
URI.java
URIUtil.java
URLUtil.java

First of all, I think these should come out of Slide as part of their migration to commons-httpclient which is still underway.

Second, I thnk that these classes are too general to be part of HttpClient. They have use well beyond a http client, and so should be available to other packages without requiring the commons-httpclient.jar.

Do people agree with me? If so, any idea where these could go? Perhaps the root of org.apache.commons? or a new commons-net package? put Base64 in commons-lang, and create a new commons-uri package?

If we do this, would it be better for HttpClient to roll the classes into the commons-httpclient.jar, or require it as a dependancy?

Any comments would be helpful.

Jandalf.