Let me make some definitions to ensure we are talking about the same thing. There are two encodings envolved:

Enc 1 Enc 2
[unicode string] ----------> URL encoded form --------> byte[]
"ö" URLEnc w/ UTF-8 %C3%B6 ASCII 0x25, 0x43 ...
"ö" URLEnc w/ ISO-8859-1 %F6 ASCII 0x25, 0x46 ...

The focus is on Enc 1 and NOT on Enc 2.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Odi, GET is an entirely different ball game. RFC is quite explicit
about it: it's US-ASCII all over the place, except for
Sure, it's ASCII for what actually goes over the wire (enc 2). But wether (how's that damn word spelt??) I encode ö as %C3%B6 or %F6 in the request parameter (enc 1) is quite different and *both* versions do completely comply with the RFC, since the RFC only specifies enc 2 and not enc 1. Correct me if I am wrong.

request/response body. That's why it takes URL-encoding in the very
first place in order to comply with the spec. Only request/response
body may be encoded with a different encoding
You are talking about encoding 2 here.

It still does not make URIUtil#toUsingCharset make any sense, as far
as I can see.
Of course not. I was only trying to figure out what was going on in Sung-Gu's mind :-)