Thanks Mike.  You rock.

- what is a good name for this connection wrapping class, currently it is HttpConnectionAdapter?
Sounds reasonable.

- should this class be available outside of the MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager?
Prefer to have as much isolation as is reasonable. Particularly keep things out of the public interface if possible.

- once the wrapped connection has been released what should be the default behaviour for the connection methods? I was thinking any methods that perform I/O should throw an exception. Other methods would just return default/empty values or do nothing.
This would seem to be an exceptional case that the programmer needs to be warned about. I don't like excessive exceptions, but it seems justified here.