Jandalf

I see your point. However, there's a concern which I would like to be
taken into consideration. It might take quite a while before we make it
past 2.2 release. A lot of useful code may simply be lost during that
time. There has already been a few cases when the contribution did not
merit inclusion into the main HttpClient source tree but might still be
considered useful for some users.

I was thinking about something very simple for a start: just another
folder under <root>/src folder. Something like <root>/src/contrib, which
would contain a package named org.apache.commons.httpclient.contrib or
something similar. This package would not be officially maintained. It
would not be included into neither BIN nor SRC distribution, however, it
would still be available for retrieval from CVS. In this way we might
benefit from receiving feedback on what kind of optional features are
considered popular or useful by the HttpClient's user base

In my opinion, this approach would not unnecessarily broaden the scope
of the project, but might still help in fostering a greater ecology
around HttpClient

Cheers

Oleg