Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

The observer thread simply closes the damn socket when the user
hits the cancel button. Whuuuuuch. The communication thread immediately
throws an IOException and happily terminates.

Good idea! We could implement this in HttpClient by having one "master" observer thread whose job was to close a connection's socket whenever a Method using that connection has timed out.

I also attempt to cleanly shutdown input/output streams ob the socket

With HttpConnection.closeSocketAndStreams or its equivalent?

-- Laura