> if we actually want to go into some level of detail as to how much or
> what the person contributed.

That's the whole point. It would be unjust to no differentiate between regular
day-to-day contributors (whom we have a few) and a single one liner patch
contribution. I do think we have to go into some details to make such a 'thank you'
page meaningful.

Just a wild thought: what if we abandoned @author tags simultaneously with the planned
4.0 rewrite, compiling the 'thank you' list as the bits of code get migrated from the
old jakarta-commons tree into (if that works out, of course) jakarta level repository?
What if we kept the tags for the 3.0 release, as long as we stay in the Jakarta
Commons?