I don't think that the final word has been said on the use of @author
tags by the PMC.  At the moment, "discouraged" seems to be more of a
suggestion than a requirement.  It is unclear on what benefit removing
the tags will have, from a legal perspective.  It is also my feeling
that if we are to remove @author tags, that some comparable replacement
mechanism should be proposed.  All Jakarta projects will be struggling
with this.

I brought this issue up for clairification on the PMC list, due to the
concerns raised on this list.

More to come.
-jsd