Hi Odi,

I am not requiring or implementing the feature, I was merely
asking out of curiosity and to be prepared for the next time
someone wants to know how to authenticate as the OS user.

I fully agree that calling sun or com.sun classes is not a good
idea. But whenever we tell people they could use JNI, I very
much doubt they'll actually try it. Adding native code to a Java
project is a big step which few will take. If there is an internal
Java API we know about, we could at least tell folks about it,
point out the implementation dependency problem, and leave
the decision to them.

As I am using IBM JDKs, I can tell you they include plenty
of sun and com.sun classes. The IBM implementation is
also based on the Sun version.

cheers,
  Roland

Ortwin Glück <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
30.06.2004 09:01
Please respond to
"Commons HttpClient Project"

Commons HttpClient Project <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc

Subject
Re: NTLM authentication to an MS Exchange web page account using  HTTP
Client V2.0

Roland Weber wrote:
> If the latter is true, there still might be a platform-independent class
> somewhere in sun.* or com.sun.*.

Roland, you can safely call the sun.* and com.sun.* packages
platform/implementation dependent. Apple have their own Java
implementation, which is based on Sun's. If you are using
implementations from IBM or BEA: They have no sun.* packages at all.
Using sun packages ties your code tightly to a specific Java
implementation. That is even worse than using native code, which is
still portable among Java implementations.

If JNI is an option, you must of course provide a specific JNI module
for every supported platform. This is not a bad thing. If you had used
any other language you would have needed to do it as well. You can write
your application such that it runs on any platform and can use the
automatic NT credentials on supported platforms only. Think of it as a
plug-in.

Ortwin Glück

  NOSE applied intelligence ag

  software engineer