i may be mis-understanding the goal …

1, it looks like you want to distinguish between elements on a web page that
should be viewable in mediaviewer vs those that should not.

2. you want to use a css class to distinguish these elements.

3. you mentioned that there may be future or other use cases and so you want a
generic css class; what would the other use cases be?

if the idea is to distinguish between items that should be viewable in
mediaviewer vs those that should not, then i like

.mediaviewer
.mediaviewer-item

with kind regards,
dan