just reading through and one issue that stands out with (e.g.:
[[file:foo.png|thumb|no-viewer|…]]). format is that many of the small image
files are embedded within infoboxes, templates and tables would it be more
efficient to restrict media viewer to only images that use the syntax
[[File:foo.jpg|thumb|....]] within an article body ignoring images embedded
with in {{.....}}  and encourage editors to shift flags, small icons, maps
etc into templates.

Alternatively just use the [[file:Foo.jpg|*thumb* |....]] as the key for
media viewer to display otherwise it just ignores the file

On 13 May 2014 06:35, Gergo Tisza <gti...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Gabriel Wicke <gwi...@wikimedia.org>wrote:
>
>> Another option is to make this a property of the image rather than it's
>> use
>> site. That should cover the typical icon well, and with minimal editor
>> effort.
>>

> Most images are hosted on Commons, so that would mean the Commons
> community would configure how images are used on other wikis. I am not sure
> if that is a good or bad thing. It would certainly mean less work for
> editors, and the work would be done by those who know the most about
> images. On the other hand different wikis have different conventions, and
> tend to take affront if conventions from other wikis are forced on them.

GN.
Vice President Wikimedia Australia