On 19 May 2014 14:50, John Mark Vandenberg <jay...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> There are images that do not use that syntax but we want to display them,
>> for example infobox main images, gallery templates, images on the main
>> page...
>
> But you could launch without the infobox images...?

I think this would be pretty confusing - the infobox is the primary
image for most articles (often the only one) and it would seem very
strange to trigger it for other images but not this one. That said, a
filter of:

* is in one of the following "content" templates [infobox and variants]; or
* is called with |thumb|; or
* is in <gallery>

would seem to get most of the "content" images; the challenge would be
building the template whitelist on a per-wiki basis.

> Also the mediaviewer commons image parser doesnt work well for complex
> pages, such as images typically seen on the frontpage of the projects.  The
> mediaviewer for Sitta europaea wildlife 2 1.jpg (on en.wp mp right now) only
> gives the filename - the description is missing.

This is indeed a complex image - the description seems to be embedded
in a hand-coded table.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Sitta_europaea_wildlife_2_1.jpg&action=edit

IME, this is relatively unusual for frontpage highlighted images -
they have rich metadata, certainly, but it's usually in a standardised
form that the mediaviewer should be able to interpret.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.g...@dunelm.org.uk