> Not to pick on Noel, but he is driven to get James to be the mail server
> the ASF uses, working tirelessly to improve features and scalability.
> If he was solely motivated by altruism, he might get tired and realize
> the current mail system already handles Apache's needs.

LOL  No, being capable of being the ASF mail server is a goal because of its
volume and mission critical import.  If James can handle that work, then it
proves itself for use in many other environments.  It is good to have goals.
:-)

I agree with your concluding assessment related why the ASL is a key part of
the ASF success story.  It encourages and permits corporate collaboration in
ways that other licenses do not.

        --- Noel