On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Santiago Gala wrote:

[...]
> I still feel shocked when I (rarely) see a JavaVM crash with a seg fault
> (out of memory always, maybe some beta JDK at times). The safety of the
> JavaVM contrasts a lot with the dangers of C/C++ environments, and makes
> it compelling to write a java alternative even when good native
> libraries do exist. This is the viral character of it. I wonder
> is "parrot" will do the same for perl/python/ruby.

I think it has always been true for those languages that people
often choose to reimplement something in that language instead of
wrapping a C module.

Some of the big things that Parrot hopefully will bring are:
  easy interop between languages that are targeted to the parrot VM
  (use Python and Perl libraries in your BASIC program)

  Shared VM development between the various dynamic languages
  instead of having everyone roll their own as it happens now.

Dan Sugalski wrote an article about why we can't just run Perl,
Python or Ruby on the JVM or CLI:
  http://www.sidhe.org/~dan/blog/archives/000151.html

 - ask

ps. http://oreilly.com/parrot/ was the April Fools joke,