On Monday, June 23, 2003, at 06:59 PM, Ted Leung wrote:

Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

<snip>

->   the java world seems to need amazing number of indians (or
        committers) relative to lines of codes or bugs fixed. And seems
        to see more isolated pockets of people than the xml and other
        parts of the ASF.

My impression on this is that the folks at jakarta have been more free (at least compared to projects in XML) with commit rights. I don't know if this is actually the case, but it is my perception.

i'm not sure that you can generalize like that. different communities within jakarta seem to require different levels of commitment. some (for example velocity) seem to require extensive development activity for months or even years. others are much more liberal. it can be a fine line to run since there has been quite a lot of public criticism about there being too few committers on several jakarta lists i'm subscribed to.

one interesting consequence of a general move within jakarta towards extensive unit testing is that the time required to commit patches has significantly increased. my experience now is that creating good unit tests takes more than the time it takes to write the code. i'm also now more aware that good documentation is crucial and spend more time creating documentation. this increases the time required to review and approve patches from developers. as code bases become more mature, more and more care also has to be taken when committing patches. it's rare that i can review and commit any patch in less than an hour. i only have a certain amount of time available for work on apache projects and so the rate of improvement either slows or more bodies are required. i'd be interested to discover how other, longer established projects solve similar problems.

- robert