> (a) keeping translations up-to-date,

This is why I'd prefer the status quo, currently we have a Japanese
translation of James site and docs which is "unofficial" but linked from the
James site.

What this means is that the Japanese is available but is not authoritative.
If we publish Japanese on james.apache.org this would be seen as
authoritative and MUST therefore to be up-to-date and accurate.

We have no-one among the James commiters who writes a word of Japanese, and
we couldn't necessarily rely upon Tetsuya being available to translate when
we want him to.

I'm very much in favour of having translations, but concerned about the
resources required not to create them but to maintain them.

d.