On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Phil Steitz wrote:

> Apologies if the answer to this question is obvious and I have just not
> stumbled on it; but I am having a hard time "legally" sending mail from
> my apache email address. Short of logging in to minotaur via ssh and
> using pine, I know of no authenticated way to do this. I can't seem to
> connect my Mozilla mail client via SMTP. From the headers on mails from
> this and other apache lists, it looks like some folks are just modifying
> the headers.  I can set up my local sendmail to push [EMAIL PROTECTED];
> but that seems bogus to me.  Even when I send from minotaur, the headers
> don't look right.  Can someone give me a clue?  What do other people do?
> Is there a doc on this somewhere?

On the current internet, you should expect no mapping between login
account / smtp server and an actual email address.  (Although some of the
current anti-spam proposals want to reinstitute such a thing.)  In other
words, it is perfectly valid to just change your header and send through
your normal smtp server.

(Personally, I avoid using my @apache.org address unless I am speaking in
some way as a representitive of apache.)

Joshua.